This includes 2 Free Lessons (Lessons 3 & 8) for Dave Raymond's American History - Part 1.
Format: 2 ZIP files containting 5 MP4 files each (Mobile size - HD available in complete set), a ZIP file including sample chapters from the Student Reader and Teacher's Guide (PDF).
These files must first be downloaded to your computer to play them or to copy them to a tablet or mobile device.
"In my opinion, this course offers an excellent balance of interesting DVD lectures, serious reading, and challenging writing coupled with worthwhile portfolio and project work, all presented from within a Christian worldview." - Cathy Duffy
History is best understood through the dual lenses of dramatic story and godly wisdom. Veteran history teacher Dave Raymond gives a comprehensive history of the United States by applying a Christian worldview to the characters, events, theology, literature, art, and religious beliefs of the nation. It is a wonderfully engaging class for students age 12 and up. Designed for upper middle school and lower high school (although upper high school would enjoy it, too).
Dave uses a combination of lectures and readings structured for a 5-day school week with daily tasks, weekly exams, and projects, as well as a year-long portfolio.
American History - Part 1 is intended to cover one semester. It consists of 13 lessons plus 2 projects. Each lesson includes five ~10-minute lectures (for an hour of teaching per lesson), daily tasks, readings, weekly exams, and more. A year-long journal is also a part of the class.
Part 2 will be available October 2013.
Lessons in Part 1:
2. The Banner of the Sun: Meso-America
3. Brave New World: The Early Explorers (sample lesson)
4. The Colossus of Empire: The Colonies
5. Stability and Change: The Reformational Colonies
6. A City Upon a Hill: The Puritans
7. A Foreign War at Home: Wars of Control
8. Grace, the Founder of Liberty: The Great Awakening (sample lesson)
9. Fathers of Independence: Adams, Franklin, Witherspoon, and Henry
10. Liberty or Death: The Declaration of Independence
11. Awesome Providence I: The War of Independence
12. Awesome Providence II: The War of Independence
13. A More Perfect Union: The Constitution
Dave Raymond lives in Franklin, Tennessee with his wife and 4 children where he has taught in the humanities for the past 10 years. He teaches the disciplines of history, literature, composition, civics, economics, and Latin through Quiller Tutorials, Franklin Classical School, and Foundations Christian Academy.
Part 2 will be released Fall 2013 and will include the following lessons:
1. Federal Headship: George Washington
2. How Good and Pleasant It Is: Adams and Jefferson
3. Manifest Destiny: Settlers, Explorers, and War
4. Word and Deed: JQ Adams and Andrew Jackson
5. The Original United Nations: The Expansion of the Early US
6. Idols of Mercy: Revival, Counterfeits, and Art
7. A House Divided I: The Age of Compromise and Divided Cultures
8. A House Divided II: Lincoln and Secession
9. The Second War for Independence: The War Between the States
10. Brother Against Brother: The War Between the States
11. The Lost Cause: Reconstruction
12. A New Normal: The West, Immigration, and Robber Barons
13. Theology as Biography: Theodore Roosevelt and Booker T. Washington